Officials in Mariupol reject Russian surrender ultimatum

The Ukrainian armed forces said Sunday that as Russia continues to prepare reinforcements for an offensive in the east, its troops are facing supply problems.

In a statement posted on Facebook, the Ukrainian armed forces claimed that “the Russian military is constantly complaining about the lack of rotation, equipment that is constantly failing, the quality of food and fuel supplied.”

Ukraine reported relatively little combat overnight but said that Russia continued to launch air strikes on Mariupol, where Ukrainian units surrounded in a steel plant are still putting up resistance.

The armed forces also asserted that in areas under Russian occupation “looting and violence by the Russian military against the civilian population continues. These actions are encouraged by their military command.”

Ukraine’s Joint Forces Operation, which is responsible for military action in the east, said 10 attacks by Russian troops had been repulsed Saturday, and that 15 Russian tanks and other equipment had been destroyed.

Some Russian shelling continued into the night, according to regional authorities.

Serhii Haidai, head of Luhansk Regional Military Administration, said four high-rise buildings in the city of Severodonetsk were hit and caught fire. He provided no details on casualties.

Haidai has previously estimated that 70% of the city is already destroyed.

“There is almost nothing to destroy there. The enemy have destroyed most of the housing stock during the past six weeks,” Haidai said.

Haidai also said one person had been injured in shelling of the nearby town of Kreminna.

Leave a Comment